Benefits Data Trust (BDT)
seeks a Manager of the SRE team to help BDT and its cloud engineering team advance its journey in Cloud Native Computing. The Cloud Engineering Manager sets the direction and prioritization of a technologically progressive team that seeks to improve our ability for clients to access our SaaS benefits service. The Cloud Engineering Manager will promote SRE principles to foster a culture that uses software engineering standards to create an infrastructure. Benefits Data Trust’s infrastructure is 99% cloud-based and uses leading-edge technologies and design patterns to serve our clients and community better.
The SRE/Cloud Engineering Manager reports to the Director of Cybersecurity and Cloud Engineering.
Our office, located in Center City Philadelphia, is currently operating under a remote-working protocol, following governmental requirements and CDC guidelines due to COVID-19. When BDT determines it is safe to do so based on public health recommendations, staff will move back into our Centre Square office.
- Ensure the team has the correct resources and eliminate any blockers to tasks
- Provide architectural guidance in the design of our cloud environment (Google Cloud Platform)
- Act as a liaison to other departments in the Office of Data and Technology
- Guide solving technical problems and create mentoring opportunities
- Perform project management functions on technical initiatives
- Keep tickets organized and current so that work continues to flow
- Create and analyze metrics to improve processes and procedures
- Monitor and improve the performance and availability of our environments
- Solid communication skills with the ability to converse with both technical and non-technical employees to advance the influence of the SRE team
- Strong prioritization skills that enable alignment of the services the SRE team provides with the changes in the focus of the business
- Ability to effectively meditate differences between teams where there may be shared responsibility of systems
- Possess a growth mindset that is always looking for challenges, creating a blameless culture, and producing iterative improvements
- Experience with a major cloud provider (we use GCP) and proficiency with the concepts and Cloud-Native technologies involved (Containers, Kubernetes, Serverless)
- Experience with CI/CD pipelines and Infrastructure as Code (plus for Cloud Development Kits)
- Knowledge of cloud security and zero trust architecture
- Experience working in an environment with regulatory requirements (preferable with HIPAA and SOC2 in particular)
- Experience mentoring and guiding the team to meet current and future knowledge needs
- Understanding of SRE principles and practices and a desire to foster them in the team
- Enjoy what you’re doing with a desire to improve continuously
Benefits Data Trust (BDT) harnesses the power of data, technology, and policy to provide efficient and dignified access to assistance, improving people’s health and financial security. Together with a national network of government agencies and other partners, we streamline public benefits systems and directly connect eligible families and individuals to programs that help pay for food, healthcare, housing, and more. A nonprofit since 2005, BDT has secured more than $7.5 billion in benefits for households across the country, building pathways to economic mobility and a more equitable future. Learn more about BDT --
a proud recipient of a 2021 Top Workplaces USA Award -- at BDTrust.org.