Benefits Data Trust (BDT) seeks an Associate Director of Communications & PR to drive greater awareness of the organization’s work to improve the public benefits system and elevate BDT’s visibility through engagement in the national dialogue about poverty, equity, and the public benefits modernization. The Associate Director will develop communications strategies that engage reporters, industry leaders, and other experts to garner positive attention for BDT. They will play a lead role in overseeing public relations activities by cultivating compelling content, creating engaging pitches, and leveraging BDT’s 18 years of expertise to differentiate the BDT brand. The Associate Director will develop, maintain, and organize communications materials including press releases, interviews, presentations, FAQs, and conference and meeting lists, help manage BDT’s marketing efforts, and collaborate to support our digital media strategies.
The Associate Director of Communications & PR will join a five-person communications team, reporting to the Director of Communications and Marketing and overseeing a Communications Coordinator. While BDT prefers candidates from the Washington D.C. or Philadelphia areas, we are open to candidates from elsewhere. BDT believes in balancing work and personal lives while seeking colleagues who can thrive and adapt in an energetic, fast-paced work environment where change and innovation is the norm.
BDT is currently operating under a remote-working protocol and following CDC guidelines due to COVID-19. BDT has adopted a mandatory vaccination and testing policy to safeguard the health of our employees from the hazard of COVID-19. Employees may request an exemption from the policy by providing documentation for medical or religious reasons if needed.
- Develop and execute communications and marketing strategies to raise awareness of BDT’s work, narrative change, vision, and impact via strategic communications tools
- Identify opportunities for BDT to generate earned media and attention that advances its mission, brand, and profile with key audiences including national and state government leaders and policymakers, and healthcare and higher ed institutions
- Build media lists and identify key media and industry-specific publications, platforms and other channels to reach key audiences through traditional (print, radio, TV) national and local media outlets, non-traditional (podcasts, YouTube) channels, and industry publications including related to healthcare and government technology
- Create communication campaigns and marketing materials for product launches/updates and policy initiatives; work with BDT external partner organizations to create and implement communications plans highlighting BDT’s work. Manage external vendors as needed, including PR agencies and photographers
- Monitor social, economic, and political trends that might affect BDT, and develop and manage monthly external editorial calendar (major milestones, moments, announcements, events) and quarterly messaging campaign to enhance the organization’s brand and reputation through media relations strategies
- Work with CEO and other leaders to drive thought leadership by writing commentaries and op-eds, securing speaker opportunities and targeted media outreach
- Draft and disseminate media pitches, talking points, Q&As, and reports, and facilitate review processes with teams across the organization. Assist colleagues with preparation as needed for media interviews, workshops, or conferences
- With support from the Director, oversee public relations activities, including leading media relations and serving at times as a BDT spokesperson. Work in collaboration with the digital media specialist on the creation of infographics and social media campaigns to help achieve communications goals
- Oversee and support the Communications Coordinator in:
Managing media citations and pulling quarterly and monthly reports using a media monitoring/media contact database
Strengthening storytelling that elevates the work of BDT’s outreach specialists and the people they help
Managing the organization-wide conference and meeting trackers
Source relevant industry awards or recognition opportunities to raise BDT’s profile.
- Passion for cultivating and disseminating compelling stories that distill complex issues into digestible narratives that demonstrate impact
- Bachelor’s degree and/or and at least 8 years of progressively responsible experience in communications, media relations or marketing or at an agency
- Background in public policy or communications policies advancing an organization’s mission a plus
- Experience in media tracking including using media monitoring platforms (e.g., Cision, Critical Menion). Demonstrated experience writing and preparing press and marketing materials (press releases, fact sheets, pitches, one-pagers, blogs, scripts)
- Ability to collaborate across teams, manage multiple projects simultaneously, prioritize assignments, and work independently and collaboratively
- Experience working with senior staff as well as managing or helping oversee staff and identifying and executing organizational priorities
- Possess creativity, a strong work ethic, and exhibit a level of proficiency and comfort working with people of varying backgrounds
- Superior written and verbal communication skills including proofreading, with demonstrated attention to detail. Ability to write clearly about policy issues and research findings
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite and Adobe Creative Suite
- Some evening and weekend work may be required
Benefits Data Trust
(BDT) improves health and financial security by harnessing the power of data, technology, and policy to provide dignified and equitable access to assistance. Together with a national network of government agencies and partners, we efficiently connect people today to programs that pay for food, healthcare, and more while helping to modernize benefits access for tomorrow. A nonprofit since 2005, BDT has secured more than $9 billion in benefits for households across the country, helping to reduce hunger and poverty and build pathways to economic mobility. Learn more about BDT – a proud recipient of Top Workplaces USA Awards in 2021 & 2022 - at bdtrust.org.