Benefits Data Trust (BDT)
seeks a capable Data Engineer to help develop our new Google Cloud data platform and run our current data infrastructure. BDT embraces Data4Good and is a fast-growing, digitally enabled non-profit that improves benefits access for thousands of underserved people.
As part of our Data Engineering team in our Data Science department, the Data Engineer will:
- Build out our new GCP data platform and collaborate on architectural patterns for it with the Data Engineering team
- Support the development of machine learning models with productionizing, monitoring and alerting tools
- Write, update, and maintain ETL jobs across our data pipelines (mostly in Airflow)
- Implement continuous improvements using our existing tools/technologies, which include SQL, Airflow, Python, Docker/Kubernetes, and others such as Terraform and Apache Beam. May also be expected to research and select other tools when the situation demands
- Collaborate with internal customers to identify ongoing platform improvements (teams including Analytics, Projects, Policy, Software Engineering, and others throughout the organization)
- Consult to software engineers on data-related changes to BDT’s suite of software applications, including schema/model design, table structure, and data collection
- Engage with colleagues and collaborators using curiosity, critical thinking, a drive to completion, empathy, and a focus on impact
- Follow existing data access and performance design standards for the data platform, software engineering, and all products and services accessing BDT information
Based in our Center City Philadelphia office, the Data Engineer reports to the Director of Data Science.
Due to COVID-19, BDT is operating under a remote-working protocol, following governmental requirements and CDC guidelines. While this job will begin as fully remote, when BDT determines it is safe to do so based on public health recommendations, we will move back into our Centre Square office. At that time, all Philadelphia-based staff are expected to transition back into the office.
Successful candidates will demonstrate the following through their experience (typically 3-5 years as a Data Engineer):
- Communication and Relationship-building – with technical peers and some stakeholders
- Cloud-based Solution Implementation, of data platforms and infrastructure, including event-driven architectures, microservices and pattern design, supporting compliance and regulated environments (including PII and PHI)
- Workflow and pipeline development to ensure reliability, availability, and consistency
- Systems Engineering – on-system service management, typically in *nix environments
- Data Modeling and Warehousing – proficient understanding of relational data structures and schemas; some familiarity with semi-structured, unstructured (big data) schemas
- Automation, monitoring, and alerting – creating these tools based on existing designs and frameworks; resolving bugs and issues
- Cloud engineering – working towards certification on any of the major hyperscale cloud platforms
- Data Encapsulation & Transfer methodologies – understands standards for file formats and transfer methods
- Also interested in relevant experience including:
- o Experience with BI implementations/uplifts (we currently use Looker) and/or Data Governance models and methods
- o Machine learning techniques, productionizing machine learning models, and/or creating models
Benefits Data Trust (BDT) is a national nonprofit that helps people live healthier, more independent lives by creating smarter ways to access essential benefits and services. Each year, BDT helps tens of thousands of people receive critical supports using data, technology, targeted outreach, and policy change. Since its inception in 2005, BDT has screened more than one million households and secured over $7 billion in benefits and services. BDT employs more than 200 people and provides enrollment assistance to individuals in six states, and policy assistance to states nationwide. For more information, visit bdtrust.org.