Benefits Data Trust (BDT)
seeks a capable Data Architect to lead the development of our new Google Cloud data platform, lead our Data Engineering team, and run our current data infrastructure. BDT embraces Data4Good and is a fast-growing, digitally enabled non-profit that improves benefits access for thousands of underserved people.
As a leader in our Data Science department, the Data Architect will:
- Design the platform architecture on Google Cloud Platform, including machine learning productionization capabilities, and collecting inputs from teams around the organization
- Lead the Data Engineering team and data platform development, including the transition and cutover plan from the existing approach to the new platform
- Manage the Data Engineering team and its workload across several internal customers, including the current data engineering work while the platform is developed
- Collaborate with internal customers to identify ongoing platform improvements (teams including Analytics, Projects, Policy, Software Engineering, and others throughout the organization)
- Define and establish data access and performance design standards for the data platform, software engineering, and all products and services accessing BDT information.
- Implement continuous improvements with the Data Engineering team using our existing tools/technologies, which include SQL, Airflow, Python, Docker/Kubernetes, and others such as Terraform and Apache Beam. May also be required to research and select other tools when the situation demands
- Manage the implementation of data governance in our platform, including security, role-based access and other features as appropriate
- Demonstrate and reinforce key attributes & values of our department, including curiosity, critical thinking, drive to completion, empathy, and a focus on impact.
Based in our Center City Philadelphia office, the Data Architect reports to the Director of Data Science.
Due to COVID-19, BDT is operating under a remote-working protocol, following governmental requirements and CDC guidelines. While this job will begin as fully remote, when BDT determines it is safe to do so based on public health recommendations, we will move back into our Centre Square office. At that time, all Philadelphia-based staff are expected to transition back into the office.
Successful candidates will demonstrate the following through their experience:
- Communication and Relationship-building – with both technical and non-technical peers and stakeholders
- Cloud-based Solution Architecture, for data platforms and infrastructure, including event-driven architectures, microservices and pattern design, supporting compliance and regulated environments (including PII and PHI)
- Workflow and pipeline design to ensure reliability, availability, and consistency
- Systems Engineering – orchestrating services, containers, and servers – typically in *nix environments
- Data Modeling and Warehousing – schema and model design across structured and unstructured data and use cases including machine learning, BI, and Analytics – all the way through to implementation oversight
- Automation, monitoring, and alerting – pattern design and implementation oversight
- Cloud engineering – certification on any of the major hyperscale cloud platforms
- Data Encapsulation & Transfer methodologies – designed for all formats and methods, including queuing methods
- Also interested in relevant experience including:
- Experience with BI implementations/uplifts (we currently use Looker) and/or Data Governance models and method
- Machine learning techniques, productionizing machine learning models, and/or creating models
Benefits Data Trust (BDT) is a national nonprofit that helps people live healthier, more independent lives by creating smarter ways to access essential benefits and services. Each year, BDT helps tens of thousands of people receive critical supports using data, technology, targeted outreach, and policy change. Since its inception in 2005, BDT has screened more than one million households and secured over $7 billion in benefits and services. BDT employs more than 200 people and provides enrollment assistance to individuals in six states, and policy assistance to states nationwide. For more information, visit bdtrust.org.